Renew Sinai is the largest capital redevelopment project in our history that will see a transformation of our hospital. We have already completed and opened 6 new floors on our Murray Street wing that will house our Women’s and Infants’ program – that largest academic obstetrical, gynecological and neonatal program in Canada. Based on continued government support, plans are underway to completely rebuild and modernize several areas of patient care – featuring state-of-the-art operating rooms, emergency facilities, and critical care and inpatient units. This metamorphosis will translate into unparalleled opportunities for us to serve our patient community.
Phase I: Completed in 2012
- 6 new floors on the Murray Street side of the building.
- Additional 160,000 sq. ft., primarily to the Frances Bloomberg Centre for Women’s and Infant’s Health, including the David & Stacey Cynamon Mother and Baby Unit.
Phase II: Opening in 2015
- New Neonatal Intensive Care Unit: single room units, enhanced security and infection control features.
- New Labour and Delivery Unit: including 5 new operating rooms.
- New Antenatal units: with increased room sizes.
Phase III: Planning and design underway
- Schwartz/Reisman Emergency Department: Doubling the size to 28,100 sq. ft. to enable Mount Sinai to accommodate expected growth in emergency patient volume from 56,000 to an estimated 80,000 annually over the next few years.
- Surgical Suite: 19 new state-of-the-art Operating Rooms, including a new robotics assisted suite and 3D imaging technology.
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU): 50% increase in beds, with upgraded equipment and improved access to the Emergency Department.
- Inpatient Units: 8 new and modernized units.
- Ambulatory Clinic: renovation on a central area for out-patients.
- Lobby: A welcoming, refurbished lobby, with patient-friendly navigation, fully accessible design, new commercial services and prestigious recognition.