FAQs and Resources

Jump down the page to find more on:scan2.jpg

Where do I stay the night before if I am from out of town?
Please contact Mount Sinai Hospital’s Social Work Department Office Manager Barb Beveridge at 416-586-4800 ext. 8337.  Barb may be able to arrange Toronto hotel accommodations at a special rate. 
As someone from out of town, where can I find transportation to the hospital which will accommodate my wheelchair/walker?
Please check with your hospital orthopaedic Social Worker, or call TTC Wheel-Trans Customer Service at 416-393-4111.  Please see our Links section for further information.
Your Hospital stay 

What do I need to bring with me for my stay in hospital?
Please refer to our Patient Guides.
Am I allowed to bring my laptop to the hospital?
You are allowed, however we encourage you to keep in mind that Mount Sinai is not responsible for any lost or misplaced belongings.  With many patients and their families coming and going, an expensive devise like a laptop can easily go missing or get stolen.
Where do I keep expensive belongings?
Please remember that Mount Sinai is not responsible for lost or stolen items.  We encourage you to leave such belongings at home or with a family member.  If this is not an option for you, Mount Sinai Hospital Security can hold such things as money, credit cards or wallets.
Can someone stay with me when I am in the hospital?
We support Patient and Family-Centred Care, which includes ensuring patients have as much support and involvement from families as possible.  We need to balance this priority with respect for privacy, rest and recovery of all our patients. It is for this reason that we do not normally allow a family member to stay in a patient’s room. 

Exceptions can be made for those staying in a private room at Mount Sinai.  Please look into such accommodations at the time of your admission to hospital, when it is most clear to us which rooms are available during your stay.
How long will I be in the hospital?
Your length of stay ( or LOS) will depend on your surgery and the progress of your recovery.



Do I need to bring my medications to the hospital, at admission for surgery?
No. The hospital will be providing your medications(s) during your stay at Mount Sinai with the following exceptions:

  • You may be asked to bring your own supply of medication(s) by a Pre-admission Unit pharmacist as some medications are not available at the Hospital. 
  • If you did not see a pharmacist at the Pre-admission unit, please bring all your medications in original bottles to the hospital, including:
    • prescription medications (including patches, eye drops, creams, etc.) 
    • non-prescription medications (over the counter products) 
    • vitamins/supplements 
    • herbals 
    • your pharmacy phone number(s)

Can I use my own vitamins, herbal products during hospital stay?
Please address this question with a pharmacist during pre-admission appointment. If you did not see a pharmacist at Pre-admission unit, please ask to speak to a pharmacist on the floor when admitted. All medications, including vitamins, herbals, etc. should be reviewed by the pharmacist and the team prior to using them in the hospital

Will I need TED stockings?


Assistance after surgery

Do I qualify for rehab?
Most of our ENT patients return home after Surgery.  There are some medical reasons which may warrant a stay in a rehabilitation hospital after surgery.  In the Pre-Admission Unit you will meet with a social worker to discuss your eligibility for rehab.
What is CCAC and how do they help me after surgery?
CCAC stands for Community Care Access Centre. A CCAC worker may meet with you before you are discharged from Mount Sinai, to determine with you and your health-care team if you require CCAC service.
What if I need to get in contact with CCAC once I am home?
When a CCAC co-ordinator sees you at Mount Sinai Hospital, you are given a phone number for your local CCAC. 
How does my hospital social worker’s assistance differ from CCAC?
Your social worker is available to you from your Pre-Admission Unit appointment date until you are discharged from hospital. CCAC service is provided after you leave the hospital, and could include social work support, physiotherapy, nursing, occupational therapy, a dietician or speech language pathologist.
Can I continue receiving my salary while off work for medical reasons?
Check with your employer to see if you are eligible for any Short Term Disability Benefits.  If not, check to see if Employment Insurance Sickness Benefits are an option.  If you are encountering financial difficulties related to time off work due to this surgery, please contact your hospital Social Worker for assistance.
Experiences of Patients With Laryngectomies As They Reintegrate Into Their CommunitiesWhat can I expect after a laryngectomy?
A qualitative study, Experiences of Patients With Laryngectomies As They Reintegrate Into Their Communities, aims to describe patients' perceptions and experiences as they reintegrate into the community following laryngectomy surgery, and identify their perceived supports and barriers for this often silent, marginalized population. Download the research results (251 KB pdf Adobe PDF).



What am I responsible for in terms of paying for items required after surgery?
Because you are having a pre-planned surgery, you are responsible for the purchase of all your necessary medical equipment and medication.
Can I go home by ambulance?  How much does this cost me?
Nearly all of our patients travel home by car, minivan or SUV after surgery, and we strongly encourage you to have your transportation planned as much in advance as possible.  In rare circumstances, an ambulance can be used for medical safety reasons. 

If you are traveling within Toronto and require an ambulance for medical reasons, the cost will be $45.  If you are traveling out of town, the cost can be over $700.  For those more than 4 hours away, an air ambulance can be arranged at no cost.
What does it cost me to take an ambulance to rehab?
This is considered a medically necessary trip from hospital to hospital, therefore travel to rehab is currently not billed to patients.
I can’t afford my medications. What can I do?
Please mention this concern to your pharmacist during your Pre-Admission Unit appointment, or at the very latest when you are admitted to your hospital inpatient unit.

Dietary / nutritional need

What sort of special diets are available at Mount Sinai Hospital?
The Department of Nutrition & Food Services delivers 350,000 patient trays annually. Patient satisfaction with meals is very important. As a result, we have a specialized team of dietitians, diet technicians, food service supervisors and an executive chef who collectively plan menus and implement quality assurance measures. All Food Services staff are qualified as Certified Food Handlers by the Toronto Public Health Department.

Mount Sinai Hospital serves a diverse community. As part of our corporate goal, the Department of Nutrition & Food Services strives to recognize the diversity of our patients. Special meal requests are permitted, including:

  • Kosher meals 
  • Chinese meals 
  • Vegetarian meals


Religious / spiritual needs

I would like to attend mass or a religious service during my stay, what kinds of facilities are available at Mount Sinai Hospital?

Our Synagogue is located on the Main Floor, near the Murray Street elevators.

Our Spiritual Oasis is at the top of the Main Floor escalator and to the left, in Room 432.

Please visit our Spiritual Care page for more details.